Thursday, April 4, 2013

Everyone did what was right in their own eyes.

I'm a few days behind in my chronological Bible plan, so I just started Judges today. In my old school paper journal I've been making a fancy page for each book of the Bible, but I couldn't come up with a theme for Judges. The Lord, in his infinite wisdom, wanted there to be room for me to write, I guess.

So in Judges, the people of Israel go through this pattern of rebellion, distress, and then the Lord raises up Judges for the people to guide them. I was struck by chapter 2 verses 13 and 15:

They abandoned the Lord... and they were in terrible distress.

How often do we "abandon the Lord" and then wail in our own great distress? The kids are out of control. The spouse is more of a roommate than a partner. The finances are a mess. We may not be worshiping Baal or other gods, but we are making other priorities and obligations "gods" in our life, and shoving a mighty Creator God into a Sunday box and wonder why our life is out of control.

We abandon the Lord, and we are in terrible distress.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment