Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The migraine that showed me so much good.

Last Friday, I woke up at 5:30am with a migraine. I needed to be on stage at church for our VBS, which we call Kids Camp, at 9:30am. I took some Excedrine on an empty stomach and fired up a quick pray to God. "Lord, please let me make it through the skit. Amen."

I woke up 45 minutes later nauseated and I still had the migraine. I'm not normally an "up at 6:15" kind of gal, so I took advantage of the quiet, and opened my Bible. Eventually it is late enough to call a friend for urgent prayer. I get dressed, and head off to church with a bucket in the seat next to me.

I made it through the skit! I take another dose of medicine, this time with food, so it doesn't upset my stomach, and before I can turn around, there is an emergency. Now, I will sometimes joke that I really "shine" in a high, slippery, windy place because anyone who knows me, knows that is exactly where I do not shine. But a medical emergency? That is where I shine, and it has been since I was a teenager. It is the part I miss most about not being a CNA anymore. God graciously allows me to contact the dad, coordinate with my friend who was with the fainter, make sure ten kids got band aids in the meantime before the tunnel vision set in.

This is where I have to tell you how much I love my church. I hesitate to say this, because that's when things get shaken up. Over the past six years I have spent so many hours with the people at church that some of them are like family to me. It is a big church, but when I walk in, it feels cozy to me. I feel loved and taken care of by my church, and I, in turn, do not hesitate to love and care for others both within the church and outside. It is where I came to know Christ, where I was baptized, and I really just love RBC.

Everyone there was so kind and encouraging. I felt like I did very little at church this week, but they all wished me well and practically pushed me home to a dark room to recover. Somewhere around 12:30-1pm I begin to hear my cell phone going a little nuts. Word got out that I wasn't well and prayers were flooding my in box. I am lying on the couch, my eyes watering from pain, worshiping the loving God who put me in pain, so I could feel so much love. That is crazy love right there.

 

1 comment:

  1. wow...we were praying for you SO hard that afternoon once we heard! so glad it went away...but hate that you had to endure it!

    ReplyDelete